Every day as we look at the news we are reminded of our need for repentance. We are living on the cusp of the Last Days. And if you don’t believe that, we can agree that we are living in a time of crisis for this nation and the world that has not been seen before. We have looked at the need for personal repentance and for a national turning away from the way of darkness to the light found only in Christ Jesus. So I offer you this prayer that we prayed at the conclusion of my last sermon. It is based on the words the Prophet Daniel used to plead for the nation of Israel as recorded in Daniel Chapter 9. It has been adapted somewhat to meet the particular circumstances of repentance for America in this 21st century. [The words taken directly from scripture are printed here in bold type.]
PART III – A PRAYER OF REPENTANCE
O Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps His covenant and lovingkindness for those who love Him and keep His commandments, we have sinned, committed iniquity, acted wickedly and rebelled, even turning aside from Your commandments and ordinances. “Moreover, we have not listened to Your servants the prophets who have warned us of the dangerous path that we are on. Righteousness belongs to You, O Lord,… Open shame belongs to us to our civil and religious leaders – because we have not obeyed the Law found in Your word nor have we followed after the ways of Your heart. Indeed this entire nation – as individuals – as the Church – and as a nation – has transgressed Your law and turned aside, not obeying Your voice…. we have not sought the favor of the LORD our God by turning from our iniquity and giving attention to Your truth.
We have sinned, we have been wicked. “O Lord, in accordance with all Your righteous acts, let now Your anger and Your wrath turn away from this nation
- We confess and call for an end to the national sin of abortion
- We confess and call an end to the sin of changing the roles you have set for men and woman, husband and wife.
- We pray and repent for turning against Your People Israel and call for our nation to bless that Land and its people.
- We confess and call for an end to the sins of greed & paedophilia & pornography & idolatry & violence & causing division & lust & all of our other sins and iniquities
- “O my God, incline Your ear and hear!…. “O Lord, hear! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, hear our cry and heal our land
May America Bless God. May America live and have its being in You and strive always for Your Glory. We ask all in the glorious and matchless name of Your Son, Jesus. Amen.